Sunday 5 February 2012

Daniel Geale: "Martinez is the man to beat at middleweight"



Courtesy of @Shaun_Brown for LiveFight.com

Not many fighters go to Germany and wrestle a title away from the champion. The 7th of May 2011 saw Daniel Geale do exactly that as he scored a split decision victory over Sebastian Zbik in Neubrandenberg.

In an exclusive interview with LiveFight.com, the 30-year old discusses his upcoming fight, becoming Australia’s 18th world champion and his place in one of the sport’s hottest divisions.

LF: First of all, how’s preparation going for the second defence of your title against Osumanu Adama? What do you know of your opponent?

DG: Preparation is going really well, very happy with the way my body is responding in this training camp. We have watched some of Adama's fights, we know he is tough and is happy to keep busy the entire fight.

LF: Was Adama the first choice of opponent?

DG: He is the IBF number 1 so with the fight being my mandatory title defence I have to fight him.

LF: Tell us how life has changed for you since winning the IBF middleweight title?

DG: Life is busier since coming back from Germany. It's always been busy with three young ones but socially a lot busier for sure.

LF: What was the reaction like when you got back home with that title?

DG: The reaction was really good. I wasn't sure what to expect when I arrived in Australia. I seen a lot of people, reporters, family and friends there to congratulate me.

LF: Did you feel an added pressure in your first defence against Eromosele Albert in front of your home fans?

DG: No, not added pressure. If anything I felt so much support. I love fighting in Tasmania.

LF: How much of a transition was it for you to fight out of Australia for the first time in your professional career? Was it just as much a mental challenge, being in Sylvester’s backyard, as it was a physical one? Have you watched the fight again since?

DG: Yes I have watched the fight a few times now. It was a great fight for me. There are always things to improve on from every fight. I actually enjoyed travelling away to another country, it was a great experience.

LF: Are you willing to fight abroad again, even going back into the lions’ den as a champion? Or do you think it is up to the challenger(s) to come to you and take if off you?

DG: No, I am prepared to travel anywhere; however being champion also allows me to also fight in Australia.

LF: The middleweight division has so much depth to it right now, is there any particular fight that gets the juices flowing?

DG: Of course the Martinez fight is what all middleweights want to take on at the moment; he is the one to beat. There are so many great fighters in this weight division though so Pirog, Sturm and Chavez Jnr are big fights too.

LF: There was a rumour of you possibly fighting Darren Barker in London this year; was there any truth to that?

DG; There is talk of many fights at the moment. Barker hasn't been a name I have had thrown around yet, any fight is possible though. I will concentrate on Adama first and see what happens after that.

LF: Would you ever relocate to America to enhance your profile and secure bigger fights?

DG: I am happy with how things are running here in Australia at the moment. If my management and my family feel I need to explore that option we will discuss it.

LF: Do you feel that Sergio Martinez is slightly disrespecting his rivals at 160lbs by chasing a fight with guys like Mayweather or do you feel he has earned that right?

DG: I think there are many boxers out there that would like to fight either Mayweather or Pacquiao as they know it's where the money is. I personally don't think it's disrespectful at all.

LF: Does boxing need Mayweather v Pacquiao to happen to keep its head above water?

DG: It's definitely a fight that has been built up for so long, if it doesn't happen I think it will be a blow for the sport. Unfortunately it's about more than two guys being the best at the sweet science.

LF: How has the Australian boxing scene changed since you turned professional eight years ago? What have been the significant changes in your opinion?

DG: I believe we have a great promoter in Grange (Global Promotions) and a few other promoters in the country that have lifted the calibre of fight cards in the country. I think a few of the circus acts that were the Australian boxing scene are on their way out now.

LF: Is there any one fighter from your country that fight fans should be keeping an eye on over the coming years?

DG: Look out for Steve Lovett-light heavyweight.

LF: Your only loss was in a thrilling fight to Anthony Mundine? How was the experience as a whole to be in such a big domestic contest? How did you react to the defeat and is it a result you’d like to even out with a rematch?

DG: The Mundine fight was a fight we were excited to take at the time, it lifted my profile a little. The 'loss' never held me back, in my opinion I believe I had done enough on the night, sometimes we don't get the decision and that's boxing, move on and find ways to make sure next time. Yes I would entertain the idea of a rematch to even the score, this time on my terms.

LF: Finally, what are your hopes and fears for 2012 – inside and outside the ring?

DG: Ultimately my hopes for 2012 are to have and win a unification fight with the other top organizations. Set my family up comfortably and have an injury free year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons